mask your platform’s URL.
With the goal of search engine optimization, this cloudlet allows you to mask your platform’s URL - while keeping the same URL visible in the end-user’s address bar.
When organizations design their web applications, the impact of URL structure and content on search engine rankings, and user experience, is often overlooked. Should your URLs contain characters that have been recommended in SEO guides for exclusion, like “=” or “&”, you could be negatively impacting your SEO. Also, if your URLs contain a string of numbers and letters that mean nothing to the user, you’re likely missing an opportunity to display a URL that both informs your visitor of the main idea (or content) of the page and includes critical keywords that will help a search engine index your page for relevant searches. You may also want to customize how the URL is shown to the customer for branding, for ease of use, and in effort to make your URL memorable and easy to identify.
When organizations design their web applications, the impact of URL structure and content on search engine rankings, and user experience, is often overlooked.
With the Forward Rewrite Cloudlet, you’ll gain an easy-to-use tool that helps you manage your rewrites and have them executed at the Edge of the Akamai Platform. This helps you avoid unnecessary round-trip requests to your data center by offloading hits associated with URL rewrites from your web or application servers.
For website owners who are concerned with improving the SEO for their dynamically generated URLs without negatively impacting performance, the Forward Rewrite Cloudlet provides request rewriting at the Edge of the Akamai Intelligent Platform. This helps customers return alternative content while keeping the URL in the client’s address bar customized or unchanged. Unlike DIY approaches or a solution implemented at the origin data center, Forward Rewrite Cloudlet does not require custom development, is quick to provision, and takes advantage of the performance and scale of the Akamai Intelligent Platform.
- Reliable and scalable - Benefit from the scale and performance of the Akamai Intelligent Platform
- Save time and money - Requires no custom development work at your data center, and is quick to configure
- Safely extend control to other teams - Provide access profiles to additional users to configure the Cloudlet functionality without giving them full access to your Akamai configuration in Luna Property Manager
- Benefit from the scale and performance of the Akamai Intelligent Platform
- Designed to improve SEO rankings by converting dynamic URLs into a Clean URL or Semantic URL; “static-looking” format to improve search engine indexing
- Designed to improve user experience by displaying desired URL in the client’s address bar while delivering the payload from an alternate URL
- Achieves performance and offload by executing forward rewrite logic at the Edge of the Akamai Intelligent Platform, avoiding additional round-trip requests to your data center
- Self-serviceable, with an easy-to-use policy manager and API included
- Semantic URLs for improved user experience and SEO
- Rewriting URLs to exclude characters that could be hurting your search indexing
- Creating Clean URLs that your users can recognize and remember
- Delivering a whole site or application under a simplified or truncated URL shown in the address bar
- Serving a m.site.com application while displaying a www.site.com domain
- Providing a user-friendly vanity-URL to browse site content that may be delivered from a URL with a dynamic structure
Cloudlets are extensions of your Akamai solution that are designed to solve specific business or operational challenges. By pushing application logic to the Akamai Edge, you gain flexibility, resource offload and increased control.