specify what kind of alternative to html can be served to end users.
When your platform is in danger of not being able to serve all its traffic, this cloudlet allows you to specify what kind of alternative to html can be served to end users. From json to xml and every static format, you can easily guarantee a prioritization in service without losing your platform’s identity.
The API Prioritization Cloudlet helps you avoid long wait-times or server failure for native mobile and single-page apps by serving an alternate non-html asset from Akamai in the event your API or service is at risk of becoming overloaded.
For website and application owners who have native mobile or single-page apps driven by API service calls that may experience planned or unplanned surges in traffic, the API Prioritization Cloudlet provides an easy-to-use tool that can be configured to respond to API or services calls with an alternate, non-html asset (e.g., json or xml) when that service is at risk of becoming overloaded. The Cloudlet can also be used to prioritize particular traffic segments to the API while serving other segments with a static experience from the Akamai Intelligent Platform™. Unlike DIY approaches or a solution implemented at the origin data center, the API Prioritization Cloudlet does not require any additional infrastructure or custom development. It is quick to provision, and takes advantage of the performance and scale of the Akamai Intelligent Platform.
Benefits to you business
- Better business results through fast, secure and scalable web experiences
- Reduce mobile app abandonment
- Avoid the cost of excess infrastructure
- Improve consistency when APIs are underperforming
- Avoid downtime by responding rapidly to changes in user demand
- Native mobile app - Reliability when API call volumes are high
- Comments or user reviews - Provide a static alternative for different segments of users or when the API infrastructure is overwhelmed
- Games - Serve static asset or messages to trial customers while prioritizing paid users during periods of peak API call volume
- Limited capacity for single-page app - Serve alternate non-html response to some users to reserve for prioritized users
Cloudlets are extensions to your Akamai solution that provide additional controls and capabilities that help simplify your web operations and improve user experience. Website, application or infrastructure owners can speed time to market and avoid the cost of custom development with self-serviceable Cloudlets applications that take advantage of the performance and scale of the Akamai Intelligent Platform.