Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the leading cloud platform for helping enterprises provide secure, high-performing user experiences on any device, anywhere, today released its Second Quarter, 2011 State of the Internet report. Based on data gathered from the Akamai Intelligent Platform™, which serves as much as 30 percent of the world's Web traffic at any one time, the report provides insight into key global statistics such as Internet penetration, mobile traffic and data consumption, origins of attack traffic and SSL usage, and global and regional connection speeds.
- More than 604 million unique IP addresses connect to Akamai Intelligent Platform in Q2 2011
- The Netherlands takes top spot for high broadband connectivity
- Taiwan is origin of most attack traffic during the quarter
100 Fastest Cities Worldwide
In the second quarter of 2011, analysis of the top 100 fastest cities around the world, based on average connection speeds, reflected the following:
- Cities in Asia continue to dominate the list, including 59 cities in Japan, 10 cities in South Korea, as well as Hong Kong.
- Brno, Czech Republic is the fastest city in Europe (#55 out of 100)
- 18 U.S. cities made the list, with San Jose, CA ranking as the fastest (#9 out of 100)