highly-scalable protection against web application attacks
Online applications are increasingly vulnerable to attacks. Our Web Application Firewall is capable of stopping these intrusions, be it through HTTP or HTTPS traffic. The filtering of malicious traffic happens as close to its source as possible, keeping your datacenter isolated and at a safe distance.
With Akamai’s Web Application Firewall we can scale to handle peak traffic and continue our aggressive growth without overprovisioning our security architecture. We’re confidently positioned to drive more site traffic and revenues while safeguarding our brand and shoppers’ information.
— Jason Miller, VP of Technology, Motorcycle Superstore Metacafe
BENEFITS TO YOUR BUSINESS
- Reduce downtime and business risk with the scale to deflect/absorb the largest DoS and DDoS attacks
- Reduce the risk of data theft with a highly scalable Web Application Firewall
- Maintain performance during attacks through Akamai’s globally distributed architecture
- Reduce costs associated with web security by leveraging Akamai’s cloud-based web security platform
- Protect against new and evolving threats with Kona rules updated regularly by Akamai’s Threat Intelligence Team
Kona Web Application Firewall
protection against web application attacks including SQL injections, cross-site scripting and remote file inclusion
Everyone connected to the enterprise – workers, partners and customers – expects instant, secure and reliable access to a fast-growing set of web applications and rich content, increasingly through mobile devices. For enterprises, providing a positive web experience for users goes beyond improving performance and requires conquering a growing set of web security challenges.
With the rapid innovation in web applications, developers, IT teams and security teams are struggling to stay ahead of the equally rapid emergence of new web security threats. A Web Application Firewall (WAF) provides the best defense.
What is Know Web Application Firewall
Kona Web Application Firewall provides always-on and highly scalable protection against web application attacks including SQL injections, cross-site scripting and remote file inclusion – while keeping application performance high. By leveraging the globally distributed Akamai Intelligent Platform™ Kona Web Application Firewall scales automatically to defend against massive application attacks and frees companies from the complexities and investment in dedicated hardware. Akamai’s Threat Intelligence Team continuously refines Kona WAF rules for known website attacks and responds to new threats as they emerge.
How it Works
Globally distributed across the Akamai Intelligent Platform™, Kona Web Application Firewall inspects every HTTP and HTTPS request before serving it, detecting and blocking web security threats before they ever reach the data center. It enables companies to customize the defense perimeter for each online environment being protected and works through the implementation of network- and application-layer controls.
- Adaptive Rate Controls — Automatically protect applications against application-layer DDoS and other volumetric attacks by monitoring and controlling the rate of requests against them. Set behavior-based rules to respond to bursts of requests in seconds, selectively alert/block attackers based on IP address and other parameters, and mitigate slow POST DDoS attacks.
- Application-Layer Controls — A collection of pre-defined, configurable WAF rules that address categories such as Protocol Violations, Request Limit Violations, HTTP Policy Violations and more
- Network-Layer Controls — Automatically drop network-layer DDoS attacks at the network edge. Define and enforce IP whitelists and blacklists to allow/restrict requests from certain IP addresses or geographical regions to protect your website
- Security Monitor — Real-time visibility into security events and the ability to drill down into attack alerts to learn what’s being attacked, by whom, what defense capabilities triggered the attack declaration and what specifically in the requests triggered site defenses
- Logging — Increase your threat posture awareness by integrating WAF event logs with your security information and event management (SIEM) or other reporting solution through Akamai’s Log Delivery Service (LDS)